Friday 13 July 2007

Team Hoyt

Lying in bed recovering from mistreating your own body gives you plenty of food for thought – how I would do things differently next time, if only my body were made strong like other people’s, I’m sick of being ill all the time. You know the self pitying kind of thoughts we all have when feeling under the weather?

Despite hearing about Team Hoyt before, I found that taking the time to look at this video made me stop and think again. It made me think that even if my body can’t hold onto the nutrients I need or if I get exhausted just looking at someone exercising, I shouldn't’t allow that to stop me.





Running a triathlon may not be the best idea of testing that theory and believe me, it ain’t mine either! It may not even be a big deal in some people’s book to run at the age of 65. Many wouldn’t blink twice a running with their son either. Running with your son who has cerebral palsy is a completely different thing however. Trekking over 3000 miles with him takes discipline that I can only dream of from my sick bed.

Dick and his wife were determined to give their son a normal a life as possible despite his disability. And there began the dream.





Watching the videos of Team Hoyt that are available all over the internet brings tear to my eye and an awe inspiring vision of the love and determination that God has for my life, to get me through my race, the carry me across my mountains, to swim the oceans with me, to be by my side no matter what. Seeing the quote in the video of their dependence on one another to get through makes me even more acutely aware of my dependence on God.

See for yourself and let me know the emotions it evokes in you.

“Rick couldn’t run without Dick. Together they run, together has power, don’t run alone”

Carole Williams

No comments: