Wednesday 28 July 2010

Remembering My Friend

Today I received a shocking call from my friend's husband. I knew it wasn't good news when he introduced himself. After all, it couldn't have been good if he was calling and not my friend.

I remember thinking that the only news could be bad news but as I wanted to put that thought out of my mind, I replaced it with the more welcome thoughts of her being ill in hospital.

The next few moments are a bit of a blur. I don't know if I screamed. I don't know if I was coherent. I don't really know what I said. But I do remember crying. I also remember my colleagues comforting me.

I won't write her name on this blog as I wouldn't want to betray the trust of her or that of her family or husband.

My friend was one of the most wonderful human beings that I have ever come across. She was warm, giving, kind, talent and intelligent. She was also pretty damned amazing. She wrote for a national newspaper, she baked professionally, had her own catering business, she was a consultant and she drafted much government legislation that now has an impact on all of our daily lives. And, I had the pleasure of knowing her.

She was a wife, a daughter, a friend, a chorister, an employee and a business woman.

She will also be greatly missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing her.

No comments: